Web scrapers are designed to grab the information needed on the website. Such tools can save a lot of time for data extraction. As capital flows around the globe through the Internet, web scraping is widely used among businesses, AI startups, freelancers and researchers as it helps collect web data on a global basis, accurately and efficiently.
Here is a list of 10 most scraped web site according to how much CrawBee task templates were used in 2020. As you read along, you may come up with your own web scraping idea. Stay calm! CrawBee offers pre-built templates for non-coders and you can start your scraping project.
- Online-shopping: sites are always the most scraped websites among others, both in regularity and quantity. As shopping online becomes a lifestyle, ecommerce affects people in all way of life. Online sellers, storefront retailers and even consumers are all ecommerce data collectors.
- Directories sites: get the second rank in the sprint and this is an expected situation. Directories sites organize businesses by categories thus serve as a functional information filter which is a good pick for efficient data collection. Many are scraping directories sites for contact information to boost their sales leads.
- Social media: contains a lots of information about human opinions, emotions and daily actions. Generally speaking, scraping from social media sites is more challenging than from others. That is because many social media sites employ strong anti-scraping techniques in order to protect users’ privacy.
Other sites: divide to categories such as tourism, job board and search engine. In fact, people of all industries are taking advantage of the web scraping technique to exploit data value to service their interests.
Here is a list of 10 most scraped web sites
TOP 10 Most Scraped Websites
10. MercadolibreMercadolibre may not be recognised to all but it is a household ecommerce marketplace in Latin American countries with Brazil as its largest contributor in revenue. The pandemic stimulate its growth and now the company is worth $53 billion on Nasdaq. It is mentioned as “Latin America’s answer to China’s Alibaba” in the financial Times CrowBee found this site the most popular among Spanish users and we formulated the ready-to-use template where users can enter the listing page URLs and get the product data: price, detail page URL, product name, image URLs, etc.
9. TwitterAccording to numbers, there are around 330 million monthly active users and 145 million daily active users on Twitter.That means, Twitter is not only a platform for socializing and sharing, but also becomes a golden place for marketing and branding. People are searching data on Twitter for individual reasons, namely industrial research, sentiment analysis, customer experience management, etc.
8. IndeedThe giant job board has received 175 million CVs in total. Lookin for jobs online now is so natural. Set up a job aggregator, especially for niche markets, has become a profitable business in recent years. How people do this? Yes, web crawling is the trick. Job board builders are not the only people benefit from job sites data. Human Resources professionals, job-seekers, to-be job hoppers, researchers focused on recruitment and job markets are all eager for jobs data. If you are looking for a job, having a big picture of the market always helps with your bargain.
7. TripadvisorTravel industry has been ruined during the pandemic and now the recovery is happening. The need to scrape tourism websites could bounce up as well. While why would people scrape websites like booking.com, tripadvisor, Airbnb? One of the examples could be service agents who offer integrated service for tourists, including ticketing, hotel/restaurant booking. Web scraping is also widely used for price comparison and this is how smart people build price comparison sites to service the public. If you try, you may build a price comparison site for flight tickets to help tourists book the most economic one!
6. GoogleWith its ML algorithm, Google can know you better then everyone (Family, Friends…). That’s all about data. From an individual’s perspective, what can we get from Google? SEO marketers may be the bunch of people most interested in Google search. They scrape Google search results to monitor a set of keywords, to gather TDK (short for Title, Description, Keywords: metadata of a web page that shows on the result list and has critical effects on the click-through rate) information for a SEO optimization strategy.
According to Wikipedia, Yellowpages.com was founded in 1996 and over decades of development, the site has developed into the most popular directory web site and hosts 15 million visitors per week.
In the eyes of web scrapers, yellowpages is the productive place to collect contact information and addresses of businesses based on location. If you are a retailer and finding competitors in your area is as simple as a few clicks. If you are a salesman and looking to generate sales leads efficiently? Check out this story and you will know what I am talking about.
CrawBee service can get for you: shop name, rating, address, phone number, etc. And the data can be exported into forms like Excel, CSV and JSON or you can get data by CrawBee API.
Yelp can provide you businesses data based on location. And there’s more. When you are travelling around and a question turn up in your head: who has the best hamburger in the city? That’s where Yelp comes into the field. Yelp serves not only as a business directory but also a free consultant for consumers in food-hunting, home services and who are looking for a good massage.
Ranking, reviews and coments which is significant data for businesses. Those scraping Yelp are capitalizing on the reviews and ranking data to get an idea of what their business looks like in a customer’s eye and also for competition analysis.
3. WalmartIf you are interested in the retail market, web scrapping has portrayed an image of how retailers use data to track every move of their customers in order to promote sales. While the real thing is that data is also used to form a transparent market and serve shoppers’ interests. Walmart can be one of the most popular targets to scrape from as its slogan reads “Save Money Live better”. That’s one of the reasons people are scraping from Walmart. For retailers and groceries, Walmart is also an important source of information to get the product data for a market research.
2. EbayOnline shopping websites are always those most popular websites for web scraping and eBay is definitely earn the silver madel. We have many users running their own businesses on eBay and getting data from eBay is an important way to keep track of their competitors and follow the market trend.
Top 1. AmazonAmazon is the most scraped ecomerce web site and it is not surprising. Amazon is taking the biggest shares in the ecommerce business which means that Amazon data is the most examplary for any kind of market research. Scraping from Amazon can give you data for all below purposes:
- Price tracking
- Competition analysis
- MAP monitoring
- Product selection
- Sentiment analysis